Dr. Zhe Zhang completed his PhD as a President’s Doctoral Scholar at the University of Manchester (UK). He has a varied repertoire of employment experiences, such as teaching languages (English and Chinese) and conducting educational research at Shandong University, Leiden University (the Netherlands), the University of Manchester, and Victoria University (Australia). He is also a professional translator and has translated over 50,000 documents of various types (e.g., government documents, business contracts, product manuals). He is interested in researching undergraduate student engagement and development, particularly through the lens of social and psychological theories. He often presents on top UK and European conferences such as BERA and EERA annual conferences and has published a number of papers in high-quality international and Chinese journals. In 2018, Dr. Zhang published a peer-reviewed monograph commissioned by Springer Nature.
Student engagement, Student development, Social learning theories
1998-2002 BA, English Language and Literature, Shandong University
2002-2005 MA, English Language and Literature, Shandong University
2011-2012 MSc, Educational Research, The University of Manchester, the UK
2012-2016 PhD, Educational Research, The University of Manchester, the UK
2005-2011 Lecturer, Shandong University
2010-2011 State-funded Teacher, Confucius Institute of Leiden University, the Netherlands
2012-2015 Postgraduate Research and Teaching Assistant, The University of Manchester, the UK
2016-2017 Research Assistant, RMIT University, Australia
2017-2018 Academic Researcher, Victoria University, Australia
2018.7-Now Lecturer, Harbin Institute of Technology (Shenzhen)
2005-2010 College English Teaching Reform, Shandong University (Demonstration site of the Ministry of Education of China)
2012 Teaching and Learning about Digital CVs, The University of Manchester, the UK
2017 The Evaluation of the VU Enhance Project, Victoria University, Australia
2002 Excellent Graduate of Shandong Province
2012-2015 President's Doctoral Scholar Award, The University of Manchester, the UK
2012-2015 Research Grant, The University of Manchester, the UK
2013 Fieldwork Allowance, The University of Manchester, the UK
Authored book (Peer-reviewed, commissioned by Springer)
• Undergraduate Student Engagement: Theory and Practice in China and the UK
Zhe Zhang & Olwen McNamara. Springer. 2018 (https://www.springer.com/us/book/9789811317200)
• Chinese College English Test (Band 4) Series Books – Vocabulary Volume, Qingdao: China Ocean University Press. 2004
• Chinese College English Test (Band 6) Series Books – Vocabulary Volume, Qingdao: China Ocean University Press. 2004
• Undergraduate student engagement at a Chinese university: a case study. Zhe Zhang, Wenhua Hu & Olwen McNamara. Educational Assessment, Evaluation and Accountability. 2015. (SSCI)
• International Students’ Adjustment Problems at University: A Critical Literature Review. Wenhua Hu & Zhe Zhang. Academic Research International. 2013.
• A Discussion on Literature Review Perspectives – Author, Works and Readers. Zhe Zhang. Cultural and Educational Resources. 2007. (In Chinese)
• Rhetorical Relations Theory (RRT) and the Teaching of College English Writing. Zhe Zhang & Wenhua Hu. The Science & Education Article Collects. 2007. (In Chinese)
• A comparative study on undergraduate student engagement in China and the UK, ECER 2015 (European Conference of Educational Research), organised by EERA (European Educational Research Association), 8-11 September 2015, Budapest Hungary.
• Student engagement at Chinese and UK universities, BERA 2015 (British Educational Research Association), organised by BERA, 15-17 September 2015, Belfast UK.
• An Exploratory Study on Chinese Undergraduate Student Engagement, Surveys for Enhancement Conference 2013, organised by The Higher Education Academy (UK), 16th May 2013, Manchester UK.
1. Writing Academic English (postgraduate) at Harbin Institute of Technology (Shenzhen)
2. General English (undergraduate) at Harbin Institute of Technology (Shenzhen)
3. General English (undergraduate) at Shandong University
4. Academic English for International Communication (postgraduate) at Shandong University
5. Chinese at the Confucius Institute of Leiden University, the Netherlands
6. Understanding Research (undergraduate) at the University of Manchester, the UK
7. Workshops, seminars and individual student support at Victoria University, Australia